December 4th to 6th
THE SILENT MANLY PROBLEM
What is shown? What is hidden?
The Community Health Development Center “Marie Langer”, specialized in community intervention, attends to the needs of the population, promoting a constant critical look on the way of life and favoring the development of the personal-social protagonism and the participative action for the resolution of the conflicts of daily life.
The Methodology of Community Correction Processes (ProCC), authored by Mirtha Cucco García, and the result of a rigorous scientific research carried out in the Spanish State, Cuba and other Latin American countries for more than Thirty years, provides theoretical and methodological contributions contrasted and effective for such intervention.
The Central House of the Center “Marie Langer” derives multiple state and international extensions of autonomous organization that work in a network to ensure rigor in the developments of the ProCC Methodology.
What happens to men?
The current data of the male population reflects a worrisome situation: health problems, assumption of risk as proof of manhood, accidents, violence towards women and men, suicides, addictions, etc. However, both in scientific discourse and in the field of social practice, the masculine problem remains seriously invisible.
Since the Methodology of Community Correction Processes (ProCC) we have been analyzing and intervening for many years, which implies to be talking about hegemonic masculinity as that of a “man at risk”. We consider the need for urgent attention, the condition for the well-being of men and women, the condition for achieving gender equity, the necessary condition not sufficient for the advancement of social struggles, the condition that enriches and enhances other degrees of protagonism for the construction of the society we yearn for.
And the question must be asked: What are the challenges involved in addressing this problem within the framework of market societies? And what in the framework of the construction of a revolutionary project?
• Analyzing the hegemonic masculine role, within the framework of gender discomforts as socio-historical construction, from the theoretical-methodological and practical contributions of the ProCC Methodology
• Creating an intervention strategy on the silenced problem of man contrasted in practice and its results.
• ProCC Methodology. General theoretical-methodological references. The discomforts of everyday life: Normality Supposed Health and gender discomforts. Inequalities installed: Patriarchy and capitalism. Social imaginary and ideological subject sought
• Socio-historical construction of gender roles. Attributive, binary and hierarchical logic. False Assumptions as an explanatory tool. Concepts of expropriation and assignment. An enlightening relationship. False Assumption of the woman. Subjective construction and invisible work
• False assumption of man. The construction of the effective worker. Subjective construction and salaried work. Expropriations and privileges. A dialectic that illuminates. New masculinities?
• Social engineering of the disagreement between women and men. The struggle of women. And men? Some elements to think about violence. Crossroads between fulfilling the assigned role and what is expected.
• Intervention with men from the ProCC Methodology. How to get to men? Relationship between need and demand. Implementation Process. The ProCC Programs and the Population Diagnostic Indicators. Position of the coordinator. Results of the interventions.
We work with the Methodology of Community Correction Processes, which uses as a group device the method of the Training Group. This methodology focuses on learning, taking care of the special relationship between the thematic and dynamic aspects of the group process. It is active and participatory, and diverse resources are used according to the type of program, the proposed objectives and the characteristics of the participants. It is in charge of a team of specialized professionals.